Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Day of Chemo

   Jacob had his first day of chemotherapy yesterday.  He did great with it.  It wasn't quite so easy for me, though.  We got there at 2:50 and didn't leave until 6:15.  I really, really needed get something to eat by the time we got out of there!  First, we met with the oncologist.  Then they took a long time explaining everything to him, which was really great.  Then they put the IV into the port on his chest.  He said it didn't hurt at all!  Of course, they gave him an ipad to play with while they were doing it, so he didn't notice anything. :-)  Then they took some blood and ordered his medicine from the pharmacy.  It was 4:30 by the time this was all done.  We then went across the hall to the infusion area where we waited for an hour to get his medicine.  He didn't mind waiting at all because they had a wii for him to play on.  Once he got the medicine, the actual chemo only took 20 minutes.  Then the nurses had to take all the tape and such off of him and we got out at 6:15.
   The worse part about this, besides my almost fainting from glucose imbalance, was that I told the people watching the girls that I was going to be home around 4:30.  The doctor had told me that the infusion only took 20 minutes so I figured an hour and a half would be plenty of time, but apparently not.  The people watching the girls didn't mind at all, but I just don't like to take advantage of them.  They only live a half a block away from the girls' school, so Sarah and Elizabeth will walk there every Wednesday after school until I am done with Jacob's chemo.  (I will drop Becca off earlier.)  Hopefully, next time it won't take so long because we don't have to do the explaining part again.
   The medicine doesn't seem to be affecting Jacob too much.  He did sleep longer this morning and take a late morning nap.  He also feels a little dizzy today.  He doesn't feel nauseous at all, though, which is great.  I'm worried about how he will do with school next week, but he feels confident that he will be ok.
   The biopsies came back from his procedure last week.  They said that they are consistent with his Gardner's Syndrome.  They are going to still do the pill camera and he will be getting that next Wednesday before the next run of chemo.

5 comments:

Ricki said...

Thank you again for writing this to let us know what's going on. It sounds like you will need to do what I have to do - take a hard candy or two in your purse. Sometimes I take the stick of cheese or some almonds, too. I'm sure it will be faster as time goes on. Remind me - how many weeks of this?

Gwen said...

Cheese and Peanut Butter Crackers work great for me, but I forgot to restock my purse. I will make sure to have that next week. He will be doing this every week for six months and then every other week for I don't know how long.

Heather Hemmert said...

Is it every day of every week for six months? Or just once a week?

Gwen said...

It is once a week for six months and the once every other week after that.

Heather Hemmert said...

We are so blessed to live in a time where there is modern medicine that can heal us, even if it is unpleasant. We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, the whole family!