We couldn't let Sarah camp in the backyard because the grass was wet from a previous storm and we were on a tornado watch. Not good to have little girls outside for that!

Sarah told me that she wanted a butterfly cake for her birthday this year. I thought that would be easy. I would just go buy a butterfly cake pan and there wasn't much to it. Then she elaborated more. She wanted to have a sky with clouds, grass, a little girl and a butterfly. Well, there went my new cake pan idea. That's alright, though. I would just make a circle cake and draw the stuff on there. As Sarah and I were making the cake. I made sure that she wanted a butterfly, a sky, clouds, grass, and a little girl. She said, "Right, and a tree and flowers." This cake was getting more crowded. Ok. A tree and flowers aren't all that hard. So, I listed everything out once more and asked if that was right. She responded, "And the sun!" Of course, why hadn't I thought about that? Every scenic cake needs a sun! So I asked, "You want a butterfly, blue sky, grass, clouds, a tree, a little girl, the sun, and flowers. That's it right?" She got a little twinkle in her eye and said, "And a blue bird." I told her, "No bird! That's it!" (I did add the bird, though it took a while for it to meet her specifications.)
The cake was fun to make, but I almost ran out of frosting. There were a lot of colors and I had a hard time judging how much I should make of each color. Sarah told me exactly where to put everything and also told me exactly how she wanted it. (The butterfly had to have a purple body, pink wings, and red spots.) After I had everything on, I told her that there was no room to write, "Happy Birthday." She immediately pointed to the side and told me that I could put it right there. I was already planning on that, but I wanted to see what she would say.
I think I am raising an artist!


Sarah's two friends still came over and they had a sleep over in her room. They got to watch two movies and sleep on the floor. It was fun and the girls were very good. (The worst part was that they are both named Abby, so things got a little confusing.)


Wendy got Sarah a whole bunch of princess stuff in a purse. I think Sarah liked that gift the best, but she is having fun reading her books, playing with her barbies, and sleeping with her lamb, too.

She really likes the lip gloss.
1 comment:
What a cute and creative cake! You are so patient.
Post a Comment