Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What's next

  Well, Jacob's surgery went great.  Before they took him back, the doctor told us all the plans of how they were going to have enough tissue after removing the tumor to sew Jacob back up.  They were going to either take muscle from him shoulder or leg in order to cover the skull.  This would require microsurgery to get blood to the skin graft and it was going to be a big process.
  When the surgeon talked to us afterwards, he told us that the tumor had actually stretched the skin out in that area so they were able to move a muscle over a bit in his neck and use the skin already there to sew him up.  The doctor said that it was the best possible scenario and seemed rather pleasantly surprised.  The power of the Priesthood is amazing.
  They put in a small titanium plate where the tumor punched through the skull, but it did not get through the outer membrane of the brain.  The doctors are as sure as they can be that they got it all out.
It was so great to have Scott's parents come help out.  There's no way we could have gotten though this without them.
 Jacob loved his pet visit.  
He didn't really want me to put a picture of his cuts on facebook, but I knew you would be interested, so I put them here.  I hope he doesn't mind too much.
   Now, what comes next?  Well, since the chemo didn't work, they don't want to put him back on that.  They are going to do radiation instead.  They didn't want to start with that because of the close proximity to the brain, but they now feel that it is the best choice.  His new radiation doctor (yes, yet another doctor to add to the list) says that there is less than 5% chance that it could hurt his brain, and we need to do something to keep this tumor from coming back.
  We are going to start radiation next Wednesday and it will be every week day for six weeks.  I thought I was going to the doctor a lot before!  We are going to try and rearrange his schedule at school to have PE first period since he isn't even going into the gym right now.  Then we can just have him do the radiation then.  I hope that works out because he can't miss every day of class for a month and a half!
   Well, I think that gets everyone up to date.  Thanks for your prayers.

No comments: